Canadian Info

We are happy to extend our warmest welcome to our friends in Canada.  There may be an international border to cross when you visit, but we figure you are close enough to be neighbors and family!  Minot has much to offer for your day trips any time.  If you are coming for a longer visit, we recommend planning ahead for best availability of accommodations.  We look forward to your visit.

Personal exemptions for Canadians increase effective June 1, 2012: After an absence from Canada of 24 hours, you may bring back $200 worth of goods duty- and tax-free; after 48 hours, your personal exemption will be $800. There are no exemptions for same day travel.

Traveler Documents

The United States requires international travelers to show documents providing identity and citizenship.  A Canadian passport is strongly recommended.  You may also obtain entry to the United States with an passport card,  trusted traveler program card such as NEXUS or FAST cards, or be part of the Global Entry program. 

Exemptions and Duty-Free

Non-Tobacco or alcohol products under $60 may be sent to Canada during your visit.  If you are visiting overnight or longer, you may also take advantage of a duty-free exemption upon your return.

Sales Tax Refunds

Canadian residents may obtain a refund of North Dakota sales tax paid on qualifying purchases (those purchased to be used exclusively outside the state; taxable purchases must be a least $25 per receipt and the refund request must be at least $15).  Goods consumed in North Dakota, including hotel rooms and dining are not eligible for refund.  To obtain a refund, complete and return the Canadian Residents Request for Sales Tax Refund Form available online at

For more information about passports and duty free gift and personal exemptions, see these government websites:

U.S. State Department

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol

Canada Border Services Agency

Person Exemption Limits Effective June 1, 2012

Exemption Limits

Added to MyMap!